• Baja

From Hax0r@VERT/HAX0RQWK to All on Monday, July 24, 2000 16:34:00
    how do i use replace_text to replace a "multi-line" text item, such as #694 (NodeLstHdr)

---
    þ Synchronet þ hax0r's palace - unknown-realm.dynip.com - you've been hax0r'd
  • From Amcleod@VERT to Hax0r on Tuesday, July 25, 2000 00:37:35
    RE: Baja
    BY: Hax0r to All on Mon Jul 24 2000 11:34 pm

how do i use replace_text to replace a "multi-line" text item, such as #694 (NodeLstHdr)

The multi-line format you see in TEXT.DAT is only a notational convenience. #694 is written on three lines but it is actually one string. The backslash immediately following the quoted string indicates that the next line should be concatenated. #694 is actually ONE STRING containing:

"*n*hNode Status<CR><LF>*c____ ___________....<etc>"

If you want to use REPLACE_TEXT to replace it, construct a string containing all the replacement, and then call REPLACE_TEXT.

(I've butchered my string up there so I could type it, but you figured that out for yourself, right?)

---
    þ Synchronet þ Vertrauen þ Home of Synchronet þ [vert/cvs/bbs].synchro.net
  • From Hax0r@VERT/HAX0RQWK to Amcleod on Tuesday, July 25, 2000 11:58:00
    BY: Amcleod to Hax0r on Tue Jul 25 2000 07:37 am

"*n*hNode Status<CR><LF>*c____ ___________....<etc>"

If you want to use REPLACE_TEXT to replace it, construct a string containing all the replacement, and then call REPLACE_TEXT.

(I've butchered my string up there so I could type it, but you figured that for yourself, right?)

yuppers - i figured it out and will give it a try :) It wasn't quite clear to me that the string was actually being concatinated. I'll let ya know what my experience is (if it doesn't work) hehe

---
  • From Beta@VERT/ROVER to All on Monday, July 31, 2000 15:05:00
    You know, all this recent stuff about Baja makes me almost want to start work on Sport! Shell again... :) Be prepared for stupid question! :)
    Beta

---
    þ Synchronet þ Rover Central, Kenora Ontario, Canada
  • From SysOp@VERT/BGDCAG to All on Monday, September 04, 2000 15:52:00
    Anyone has the list of Baja commands? I would like to learn it since I am new to SBBS :) ty in advance

---
    þ Synchronet þ BGD Computers and Graphics - telnet://bgdcag.homeip.net
  • From Hax0r@VERT/HAX0RQWK to SysOp on Monday, September 04, 2000 19:42:00
    BY: SysOp to All on Mon Sep 04 2000 10:52 pm

Anyone has the list of Baja commands? I would like to learn it since I am to SBBS :) ty in advance

just open up BAJA.DOC in your favorite text editor -- it worked for me.

in case you dont know where it is, its in the SBBS\DOCS directory

---
  • From SysOp@VERT/BGDCAG to Hax0r on Tuesday, September 05, 2000 01:25:00
    BY: Hax0r to SysOp on Tue Sep 05 2000 02:42:00

Anyone has the list of Baja commands? I would like to learn it since I a to SBBS :) ty in advance

hmmmm dont see it :(

---
  • From Digital Man@VERT to SysOp on Tuesday, September 05, 2000 07:29:56
    BY: SysOp to Hax0r on Tue Sep 05 2000 08:25 am

Anyone has the list of Baja commands? I would like to learn it since to SBBS :) ty in advance

BAJA.DOC is normally installed in your Synchronet DOCS directory. The same place you find SYSOP.DOC. Use the Windows "Find files" facility if you don't know where these files are located on your system.

Rob

---
  • From SysOp@VERT/BGDCAG to Digital Man on Tuesday, September 05, 2000 10:43:00
    BY: Digital Man to SysOp on Tue Sep 05 2000 14:29:00

BY: SysOp to Hax0r on Tue Sep 05 2000 08:25 am

Anyone has the list of Baja commands? I would like to learn it sin to SBBS :) ty in advance

just open up BAJA.DOC in your favorite text editor -- it worked for me

BAJA.DOC is normally installed in your Synchronet DOCS directory. The same place you find SYSOP.DOC. Use the Windows "Find files" facility if you don't know where these files are located on your system.

Rob
    I found it, looks like it is sorta based on C, Rob you did one heck of a job writing SBBS, hope to learn the Baja and write some things being a former programmer.

Barry

---
  • From Beta@VERT/ROVER to SysOp on Tuesday, September 05, 2000 10:00:00

Anyone has the list of Baja commands? I would like to learn it since I am n to SBBS :) ty in advance

Two things, I would sujest that you change you nick, there are a few ppl using SysOp... :) And there is a complete manual on Baja in \SBBS\DOCS\BAJA.DOC
    Beta

---
  • From Hax0r@VERT/HAX0RQWK to SysOp on Tuesday, September 05, 2000 12:58:00
    BY: SysOp to Digital Man on Tue Sep 05 2000 05:43 pm

I found it, looks like it is sorta based on C, Rob you did one heck of a jo writing SBBS, hope to learn the Baja and write some things being a former programmer.

heh, actually its not really like c at all -- more like basic. some of the ways the functions work are similar to c, but aside from that.....

it would be real nice if it wasnt as "procedural" as it is -- user defined functions would be nice, but i don't think i'm going to hold my breath.

I just hope that the next version of SBBS takes the Windows long filenames and stores them in the extended description for any files that are "recieved via ftp"

---
  • From Beta@VERT/ROVER to SysOp on Tuesday, September 05, 2000 14:43:00
    BY: SysOp to Digital Man on Tue Sep 05 2000 05:43 pm

I found it, looks like it is sorta based on C, Rob you did one heck of a job writing SBBS, hope to learn the Baja and write some things being a former programmer.

You know the thing that has always amazed me? Not only the way that Rob programs, the speed of his programs, or the speed at which he is able to write new add-ons, but the fact that a programmer is able to write docs which we are all able to understand! :)
    Beta

---
  • From Beta@VERT/ROVER to Hax0r on Tuesday, September 05, 2000 14:47:00
    BY: Hax0r to SysOp on Tue Sep 05 2000 07:58 pm

I just hope that the next version of SBBS takes the Windows long filenames a stores them in the extended description for any files that are "recieved via ftp"

You know that isn't a bad idea... How hard would it be, instead of dong a complete re-write to implement long file names, that you just put the long file name in the extended description? You might be able to make the FTP server recognise this, and then if someone downloads via FTP it will send them the file in long-filename..

Anythoughts Rob? Possible or completely impractical?
    Beta

---
  • From Digital Man@VERT to Hax0r on Tuesday, September 05, 2000 14:15:55
    BY: Hax0r to SysOp on Tue Sep 05 2000 07:58 pm

heh, actually its not really like c at all -- more like basic. some of the ways the functions work are similar to c, but aside from that.....

it would be real nice if it wasnt as "procedural" as it is -- user defined functions would be nice, but i don't think i'm going to hold my breath.

I just hope that the next version of SBBS takes the Windows long filenames a stores them in the extended description for any files that are "recieved via ftp"

I've already implemented this feature for the next release of the FTP server (but this has nothing to do with Baja). <shrug>

Rob

---
  • From Digital Man@VERT to Beta on Tuesday, September 05, 2000 14:16:58
    BY: Beta to SysOp on Tue Sep 05 2000 09:43 pm

I found it, looks like it is sorta based on C, Rob you did one heck of a writing SBBS, hope to learn the Baja and write some things being a former programmer.

You know the thing that has always amazed me? Not only the way that Rob programs, the speed of his programs, or the speed at which he is able to wri new add-ons, but the fact that a programmer is able to write docs which we a all able to understand! :)

Thanks for the compliment. I've had probably an equal (or greater) number of people tell me that my docs suck rocks too, so I guess it's matter of taste (or intelligence?). :-)

Rob

---
  • From Digital Man@VERT to Beta on Tuesday, September 05, 2000 14:17:45
    BY: Beta to Hax0r on Tue Sep 05 2000 09:47 pm

I just hope that the next version of SBBS takes the Windows long filename stores them in the extended description for any files that are "recieved ftp"

You know that isn't a bad idea... How hard would it be, instead of dong a complete re-write to implement long file names, that you just put the long f name in the extended description? You might be able to make the FTP server recognise this, and then if someone downloads via FTP it will send them the file in long-filename..

The FTP server has always recognized and supported long file names.

Rob

---
  • From PistolGrip@VERT/WASTELND to Digital Man on Tuesday, September 05, 2000 18:05:00
    BY: Digital Man to Beta on Tue Sep 05 2000 09:16 pm

Thanks for the compliment. I've had probably an equal (or greater) number of people tell me that my docs suck rocks too, so I guess it's matter of taste intelligence?). :-)

Heh.. I've always found them intelligable. Even back in 1990 when I barely knew what a serial port was :)

PistolGrip

---
    þ Synchronet þ WasteLand BBS þ telnet://wasteland.darktech.org
  • From Hax0r@VERT/HAX0RQWK to Digital Man on Tuesday, September 05, 2000 17:43:00
    BY: Digital Man to Hax0r on Tue Sep 05 2000 09:15 pm

I've already implemented this feature for the next release of the FTP serve (but this has nothing to do with Baja). <shrug>

heh -- this means I'll have to break out the hexeditor again and hexedit SBBS.DLL again when i upgrade... humph.

Would it be possible to take some of the strings in there and put them into the text.dat file so they could be redefined in baja? hex editing SBBS.DLL to remove "via telnet" every single time you release Sync is not exactly my idea of fun.

---
  • From Ksandre@VERT to Digital Man on Tuesday, September 05, 2000 20:16:05
    BY: Digital Man to Beta on Tue Sep 05 2000 09:16 pm

Thanks for the compliment. I've had probably an equal (or greater) number of people tell me that my docs suck rocks too, so I guess it's matter of taste intelligence?). :-)

I think what matters in documentation is the degree to which the writer has assumed that the audience has ample prior background knowledge and therefore will start using language short cuts. It's not necessarily and issue of the readers' intelligence. It is simple lack of factual knowledge.

(I'm beginning to loop.)
    :-D

---
  • From Digital Man@VERT to Hax0r on Wednesday, September 06, 2000 05:42:24
    BY: Hax0r to Digital Man on Wed Sep 06 2000 12:43 am

I've already implemented this feature for the next release of the FTP ser (but this has nothing to do with Baja). <shrug>

heh -- this means I'll have to break out the hexeditor again and hexedit SBBS.DLL again when i upgrade... humph.

Technically speaking, the change wasn't made to SBBS.DLL, it was made to FTPSRVR.DLL, but whatever you _have_ to do...

Would it be possible to take some of the strings in there and put them into the text.dat file so they could be redefined in baja?

Of course it's possible.

hex editing SBBS.DLL
    remove "via telnet" every single time you release Sync is not exactly my ide of fun.

Well so far, you're the first person to appear to have problem with "via telnet", so I'll take that into consideration.

Rob

---
  • From Amcleod@VERT to Digital Man on Wednesday, September 06, 2000 09:45:10
    BY: Digital Man to Hax0r on Wed Sep 06 2000 12:42 pm

Well so far, you're the first person to appear to have problem with "via telnet", so I'll take that into consideration.

I must admit I've thought for a while that if the BBS is going essentially TELNET-only then "via TELNET" is a little redundant. I thought about "via <IP>" but I dunno if I like that either...

---
  • From Hax0r@VERT/HAX0RQWK to Digital Man on Wednesday, September 06, 2000 12:06:00
    BY: Digital Man to Hax0r on Wed Sep 06 2000 12:42 pm

heh -- so does that mean that it wont get done? hehe

seriously, i don't have a problem with it, i just want to customize. in the end, i dont want my board to look like synchornet (no offense to the job you've done writing it) -- i just hate stock looking boards. There are probably tons of Sync BBS's out there that all look like one another (like the original), and given the fact that most callers dont post anymore (not that these stock sync bbs's have any kind of interesting discussion going on) whats to keep me calling?

---
  • From Digital Man@VERT to Amcleod on Wednesday, September 06, 2000 11:04:50
    BY: Amcleod to Digital Man on Wed Sep 06 2000 04:45 pm

I must admit I've thought for a while that if the BBS is going essentially TELNET-only then "via TELNET" is a little redundant.

You can still mix-match dial-up nodes, so node listing can contain dial-up users as well as telnet users and I suspect at some point I will have "via HTTP" and possibly other node/connection types.

Rob

---
  • From PistolGrip@VERT/WASTELND to Hax0r on Wednesday, September 06, 2000 13:35:00
    BY: Hax0r to Digital Man on Wed Sep 06 2000 07:06 pm

given the fact that most callers dont post anymore (not that
    these stock sync bbs's have any kind of interesting discussion going on) wha to keep me calling?

hehe... games man, games! That's all anyone does anymore :)

Pistolgrip

---
    þ Synchronet þ WasteLand BBS þ telnet://wasteland.darktech.org
  • From TommyKnocker@VERT/TALAMASC to SysOp on Tuesday, September 05, 2000 23:15:00

Anyone has the list of Baja commands? I would like to learn it since I am n to SBBS :) ty in advance

baja.doc in the docs directory when you installed Sync.
    TK

---
    þ Synchronet þ telnet://talamasca-bbs.com http://talamasca-bbs.com
  • From Amcleod@VERT to Digital Man on Wednesday, September 06, 2000 22:44:25
    BY: Digital Man to Amcleod on Wed Sep 06 2000 06:04 pm

I must admit I've thought for a while that if the BBS is going essentiall TELNET-only then "via TELNET" is a little redundant.

You can still mix-match dial-up nodes, so node listing can contain dial-up users as well as telnet users and I suspect at some point I will have "via HTTP" and possibly other node/connection types.

I know dial-up is still supported, but I presumed that this was in decline, and eventually all connectivity would be net-based. "Via-HTTP" is OK with me too, when the time comes!

---
  • From Reaper Man@VERT/FLAMINT to Beta on Thursday, September 07, 2000 03:56:00
    BY: Beta to SysOp on Tue Sep 05 2000 21:43:00

new add-ons, but the fact that a programmer is able to write docs which we a all able to understand! :)

<click> woah, i never realized that...
    way to go Rob!

---
    þ Synchronet þ Flamin' Torch BBS - Fired Up and ready to go flamint.dyndns.org
  • From Reaper Man@VERT/FLAMINT to Hax0r on Thursday, September 07, 2000 04:00:00
    BY: Hax0r to Digital Man on Wed Sep 06 2000 00:43:00

the text.dat file so they could be redefined in baja? hex editing SBBS.DLL remove "via telnet" every single time you release Sync is not exactly my ide

why remove via telnet?
    where is this?

---
  • From Beta@VERT/ROVER to Reaper Man on Thursday, September 07, 2000 11:36:00
    BY: Reaper Man to Beta on Thu Sep 07 2000 10:56 am

new add-ons, but the fact that a programmer is able to write docs which w all able to understand! :)

<click> woah, i never realized that...
    way to go Rob!

You ever tried to read the docs for something like RBBS? Rob's docs are awsome in my mind :)
    Beta

---
  • From Hax0r@VERT/HAX0RQWK to Reaper Man on Thursday, September 07, 2000 12:10:00
    BY: Reaper Man to Hax0r on Thu Sep 07 2000 11:00 am

why remove via telnet?
    where is this?

if you do a node activity list it shows up there -- its arguably a very minor issue, but it is redundant (considering dialup is eventually gonna be almost gone). I just like to customize anything and everything i can, of which this is one element -- and the TEXT.DAT file is a great concept INMHO.

---
  • From Reaper Man@VERT/FLAMINT to PistolGrip on Thursday, September 07, 2000 08:52:00
    BY: PistolGrip to Hax0r on Wed Sep 06 2000 20:35:00

given the fact that most callers dont post anymore (not that
    these stock sync bbs's have any kind of interesting discussion going on) to keep me calling?

hehe... games man, games! That's all anyone does anymore :)

woah, i must be behind the times, because the ONLY reason I am usually cought lurking on a synchronet BBS is to participate in dovenet...
    guess I got hooked onto the message forums a couple years back...
    but I used to be an "only gamer"

---
  • From Bgdjr@VERT/BGDCAG to Reaper Man on Friday, September 08, 2000 05:57:00
    BY: Reaper Man to PistolGrip on Thu Sep 07 2000 15:52:00

I am a Tech for the MSN Gaming Zone, http://www.zone.com that is where I do most of my RETAIL gaming, but I am SO glad to be back in the BBS world cuz I miss the online doors. Had a blast years ago running VBBS/VA, WildCat!, and a few others. I love the was SBBS is setup, very easy to run once it is setup (that is the "FUN" part).

Great job Rob

Barry

---
  • From Reaper Man@VERT/FLAMINT to Hax0r on Friday, September 08, 2000 09:33:00
    BY: Hax0r to Reaper Man on Thu Sep 07 2000 19:10:00

if you do a node activity list it shows up there -- its arguably a very mino issue, but it is redundant (considering dialup is eventually gonna be almost gone). I just like to customize anything and everything i can, of which thi is one element -- and the TEXT.DAT file is a great concept INMHO.

so would you have a string in the text.dat for each type of connection the user can make?

---
  • From Hax0r@VERT/HAX0RQWK to Reaper Man on Saturday, September 09, 2000 11:01:00
    BY: Reaper Man to Hax0r on Fri Sep 08 2000 04:33 pm

so would you have a string in the text.dat for each type of connection the can make?

yeah, that way you could making it whatever you wanted. i just dont see why any text should have to be hardcoded into the actual program..... doing so only takes away from the power of baja. if its a text string in the text.dat file, it can be replaced to call a baja module and do whatever you want it to do, either display wise or operationally.

---
  • From Root@VERT/OBLIVION to Reaper Man on Tuesday, June 25, 2002 22:03:00
    BY: Reaper Man to Beta on Thu Oct 22 1998 10:00 am

BY: Beta to Reaper Man on Wed Oct 21 1998 11:48 am

I don't recall reading anything about a unix clone type shell...

To whom ever it may concern, if anyone wants to write the BAJA, I made th .ASC's a little while back for this, I'm just not interested in writing t BAJA....

this is like the sdos shell right?
    also would it use unix type syntax also?

I have the unix type shell somewere on my board... I think.:)

---
    þ Synchronet þ The Oblivion BBS, telnet://oblivionbbs.dns2go.com
  • From caphood@VERT/ROHAN to Hax0r on Saturday, May 24, 2003 23:09:00
    Re: Baja
    By: Hax0r to SysOp on Mon Sep 04 2000 08:42 pm

im running synch 3.10L and theres no BAJA.DOC in the \docs dir
    do you mean Baja_200.new ?

|15 +o |10Rohan |00|18 27inch USA Central HQ |15|16 rohan.zapto.org

---
    þ Synchronet þ from rohan.zapto.org (rohan bbs)
  • From Dribble@VERT/DARKBBS to All on Wednesday, December 03, 2003 14:49:00
    Hey,

was wondering, I am working on a sysop menu in my command shell, and was wondering if there was a way I could bypass the system password prompt when I have it execute a command. I know the system password is there for security reasons, but it gets on my nerves and I really dont need it asking me for a password with each command I execute. If anyone has any knowledge how this can be done please enlighten me, I already know how to make it only allow access to level 90 or higher so this was the last bit of info i needed.

‘ Dribble ‘ {nRk} (+o Dark Dreams)

---
    þ Synchronet þ Dark Dreams - darkdream.zapto.org
  • From Digital Man@VERT to Dribble on Wednesday, December 03, 2003 19:56:57
    By: Dribble to All on Wed Dec 03 2003 02:49 pm

was wondering, I am working on a sysop menu in my command shell, and was wondering if there was a way I could bypass the system password prompt when have it execute a command. I know the system password is there for security reasons, but it gets on my nerves and I really dont need it asking me for a password with each command I execute. If anyone has any knowledge how this can be done please enlighten me, I already know how to make it only allow access to level 90 or higher so this was the last bit of info i needed.

For most commands, yes. Are you using the str_cmds.bin module for your sysop commands? If you remove the "chksyspass" lines, that will remove the system password check for those commands.

digital man

Snapple "Real Fact" #25:
    The only food that does not spoil is honey.

---
  • From Dribble@VERT/DARKBBS to Digital Man on Wednesday, December 03, 2003 23:06:00
    By: Digital Man to Dribble on Wed Dec 03 2003 07:56 pm

For most commands, yes. Are you using the str_cmds.bin module for your sysop commands? If you remove the "chksyspass" lines, that will remove the system password check for those commands.

Yes I was, I never bothered to check that source, cool thanks Rob

‘ Dribble ‘ {nRk} (+o Dark Dreams)

---
    þ Synchronet þ Dark Dreams - darkdream.zapto.org
  • From Joe Moody@VERT/BLUETHDR to All on Sunday, June 13, 2004 13:16:00
    I just wanted to find out if at all possabele.

I'm looking for a way of reading from a file from my hard drive and loop threw each of the lines and print them to the screen. can any one help.

telnet://bluethunder.dtdns.net

Thanks

Joe

---
    þ Synchronet þ BlueThunder BBS bluethunder.dtdns.net
  • From Digital Man@VERT to Joe Moody on Monday, June 14, 2004 19:18:22
    By: Joe Moody to All on Sun Jun 13 2004 01:16 pm

I'm looking for a way of reading from a file from my hard drive and loop thr each of the lines and print them to the screen. can any one help.

Yes, see exec/bullseye.src for an example.

digital man

Snapple "Real Fact" #28:
    Chewing gum while peeling onions will prevent you from crying.

---
  • From Tracker1@VERT/TRN to Joe Moody on Monday, July 05, 2004 00:48:00
    Joe Moody wrote:

I'm looking for a way of reading from a file from my hard drive and
    loop threw each of the lines and print them to the screen. can any
    one help.

in case you'd like a JS based solution, if you get the assault base pack
    from http://www.vanguardmoddingcrew.com/ and look at the ansi_slow.js
    this is basically what it does, with a small sleep after each line, so
    that extra-long ansis display slower, not blasting by...

--
    Michael J. Ryan - tracker1(at)theroughnecks(dot)net - www.theroughnecks.net icq: 4935386 - AIM/AOL: azTracker1 - Y!: azTracker1 - MSN/Win: (email)

--= Tagzilla v0.052 =--
    Rules of Acquisition #025:
    There's always a way out.

---
    þ Synchronet þ theroughnecks.net - you know you want it
  • From Bigjoe@VERT/BLUETHR to All on Sunday, January 02, 2005 15:36:00
    I been wanting to find out if theres a way to load information from a text file and be able to give each one I load a var. If you can under stand what I'm talking about. I want to be able to fopen a file and load each line in and give each line I readin it's own varable.

and is there any way to setup an array with Baja, Rob doesn't have any plans on added it to Baja

Thanks

joesoft11a@hotmail.com

---
    þ Synchronet þ Blue Thunder - bluethunder.dtdns.net